Sunday, 21 August 2016

Photo Diary: Liverpool

Hi, friends! So last weekend Momma Soydemir and I decided to seize the opportunity that came along with having magnificent weather here up north, to make an outing of it! Liverpool docks, houses not only a picturesque view across the River Mersey, it also is the home to the Liverpool Maritime Museum, the International Slavery Museum and the Liverpool Museum...in short it's a museum hotspot. Myself being a self-confessed museum junkie, spent the day enjoying an ice cream by the docks, admiring the dated buildings, which were all given a friendly touch with rainbow bunting, and wandering the museum to my heart’s content, soaking up any information as I did so. There’s a theme to my photographs, which I am positive you will notice; there were so many quaint corners and quirky street vendors that I couldn't resist running around taking pictures of them all. I will excuse myself though since it doesn't happen every day that on encounters a rather eccentric diner in the form of an American big yellow school bus, or exceptionally whimsical ice cream vans...or even better...an ice cream boat! I only took photos of the peripheral area of the docks, rather than the museum itself because I become far too engrossed to remember to whip out my camera. Liverpool was a historically significant port and a component of the slave trade triangle, so it comes as no surprise that the International Slavery Museum happens to be the first museum to be established about slavery! Admittedly it is a very poignant exhibition since it runs you through the abominable treatment of the slaves and how slavery was justified around that period of time. However for those of you who are nautical enthusiasts and would rather stick to the maritime theme; there is a rather intriguing Titanic exhibition in the Maritime museum where you also have the option of dressing up as members of each class (I may or may not indulged in that activity). Anyhow, I do hope you enjoy the photos, no outfit photos I’m afraid since I was a one woman team that day.
Hope you all had a spiffing weekend!












8 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Sumeyye, I really ought to visit Liverpool soon! Would love to check out those museums for sure.

    Andini xx | Adventures of an Anglophile 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling, I travel quite a bit and it only just occurred to me to try and capture the beautiful scenery I take for granted and the essence of my surroundings.. I'm working on it! aha, I really do hope it lives up to your expectations..do choose a sunny day to visit though!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos! The little doughnut truck!!! aaaah!
    I've always wanted to see Liverpool (I'm such a Beatles nerd), so I'd just like to visit all the places where they started out. But yeah museums are great! I love museums so much too!!
    These posts of yours are darling! I love seeing everything through the Sumeyye-lens! ;)
    Hope you're doing great love!
    Much love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Mona, thank you very much it honestly means a lot to me! I've been fortune this summer to have visited some splendid and culture packed places... it would have been a crime not to capture them. I didn't have time for the Beatles exhibition which I was truly crestfallen about..alas til next time. I agree, the doughnut truck is precious... that's what I love about England, it's not solely based on the food that the vendors serve... they pay attention to the slightest detail...from their eye-catching vehicles to the gingham serviettes...just adds that extra something to the whole experience.. It makes me wishful that the Turkish street vendors would follow their lead (they have yet to discover presentation)! I thought you would...you'll definitely be enamored with the museums in London in that case!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a fun trip! And makes me want cheese on toast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah I agree.. it required every ounce of self control that I possess to steer away from the tostie van (gluten intolerant). Thank you so much darling, it most certainly was!

      Delete
  4. Wow these photos are amazing girl! Despite being British I've never actually visited Liverpool, im totally feeling like I should now. I hope you had a great trip! X
    www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Cara, thank you my lovely! Oh you totally should.. Liverpool is packed with history and culture if you know all the right places to go! The key to any good trip is having fantastic weather!

      Delete