Monday, 3 April 2017

Outfit & Guide: 14 Ways On How To Shop On A Budget!


Hi there and welcome back lovely readers of this humble little blog!
Today's blogpost is presented to you from Quarry Bank Mill greenhouse, and alongside this outfit post I thought I'd rekindle my love for sharing retail related advice by imparting my hacks that I always find myself referring back to when it comes to affordable, carefully curated and effective shopping. For me shopping has never been about keeping on top of the latest trends or spilling the contents of my purse over. By all means I adore shopping, but more specifically I enjoy careful shopping. What on earth is she going on about you may ask, well from my humble perspective anyone can see an item in a shop and purchase it there and then for the full price, whether it's a long term investment or not.. who knows?! For me, each shopping venture is a little game and each item I buys is an investment as nothing beats the satisfaction of acquiring a must have for an absolute bargain. The little quest I like to entertain's ultimate purpose being to bag some amazing finds that will astonish both you and others that ask you how you always mange to find such steals. Yes, the prospect of affordable shopping and the compliments that succeed it, strokes my ego. Sorry not sorry.

So without much further ado, here are my top tips to dressing affordably:


1)   Four words
Set yourself a budget.

2)   Do I need this?
We don't want to find ourselves in the I.R.L sequel of Confessions of a Shopaholic, so ask yourself this; Do I need it? Will it revolutionize my wardrobe in a way that an pre-existing similar item doesn't?

 3)   Don't sell your soul over an item
If you spot something that will result in you emptying the entirety of your pockets' contents and possibly searching in the crevices of your purse, consider waiting for the sales unless of course it occupies your mind to the point of possession, then for health's sake buy it.

4)   Until our next meeting
If you do consider postponing an item purchase until the sales, make sure to get there at the start of the sales or else it will be a grim case of 'finders keepers, losers weepers'.

5)   Shop turn-arounds, friend or foe?
Shop turn-arounds don't necessarily mean your item has vanished from the face of the earth, they often reappear in the sales!

6)   Stalker shopper
Keep tabs on the impromptu sales that pop up rather than depend on the end of season sales!

7)   'One man's trash is another man's come up'
The end of the sales doesn't necessarily mean the dregs, there may be the occasional prince amongst the hundreds of frogs for the price of almost nothing (I'm not a romantic).

8)   True love requires sacrifices in the form of a purse
If there is a piece you're lusting after to the point it's infiltrating your dreams. Just put yourself out of the misery and get it.

9)    Sleep on it
This may be an obvious one however if you're indecisive about the use you'll get out of an item... leave it, at least for a while.  In most situations it is a temporary blip from your usual bearings and disappears almost as instantly as it appears. Sleep on it, if after a sufficient amount of time has passed and you are still keen, go ahead!

10)   It's a keeper
If it's a wardrobe staple, consider it a justification for paying the full price. The cost per wear will even it out eventually!

11)   She who hesitates is lost
Whilst being an exclusive sales shopper is perfectly commendable, don't let it cloud your judgement. If you've been lusting after an item that is both popular and has miraculously made it's way to the sales rack.. don't risk leaving it for the next round of price reductions, seize it, she who hesitates is lost.

12)   Mixing and matching
Sale or no sale when you're intent on a piece, consider the various different outfits you can pair it with. If it's not a very versatile piece that barely complements anything in your wardrobe, it may result in you not getting enough wear out of it. My personal purchase barrier is 5; so if I can come up with at least 5 outfits off the top of my head I would consider it a worthy purchase.

13)    Outlets are your new friend
Do your research on whether there are discount outlets of the shops you love!

14)   Play your quirkiness to your advantage
Deliberate over the item of interest as to whether it is a popular, sought after piece at the moment. If your style is quite quirky and the demand or hype for the item may not be very high, consider leaving it to enter the sales. Pieces that don't immediately strike people's fancy often find their way to the sales rack!

Today's outfit is an accumulation of all my aforementioned tips: My H&M mustard jumper was a mere fiver from the remnants of the sale, my Zara skirt was £12 and I decided not to leave it for another price drop as it already ticked all the boxes and missing out would be truly a great loss. You may roll your eyes at the sight of my trusty brogues, but they are a classic, a wardrobe staple for me and a shoe I can always depend upon. Since Clarks always produce the same shoe which rarely graces the sales section, I ventured into the Lowry Outlet Mall and after a fair bit of rummaging emerged from the shop with a whopping 40% off. My denim jacket was an investment piece, one of the rare moments I have spent the full price tag's worth of money on something. You see, being petite whereby the grand majority of items hang loosely or make you appear frumpy means that when a rare gem crops up that fits you as snug as a bug in a rug, you just buy it. Treat yo'self!

I really do hope you guys found my tips conducive! Do you have any personal shopping hacks? 

 If you came solely for the outfit, there is something here for everyone.....


My mama, bless her golden heart not only took these pictures for me but also offered to do so. Considering the fact she occupies the highest band of technophobia, let us take a moment to appreciate what a fabulous job she has done of it.





Outfit Details: Zara cropped denim jacket, H&M jumper, tights that have existed from the beginning of time, Clarks' brogues and Accessorize Bag.








1 comment:

  1. I really love this outfit and the photos your mother took! I think navy looks incredible on you (especially paired with yellow ;) )
    For me, the most effective way to score a bargain when shopping is called "Let Nature Take Its Course" LOL it usually entails me spotting an item at a store, realising it costs more than I would be willing to pay and me deciding to come back another time. If the item is still there by then, I might buy it—otherwise, it's just not meant to be. But now I realise that the cheap price means someone somewhere is paying for it with their lives, so I'm not sure how I feel about that anymore.

    I'm sorry for raining on your parade.

    Alive as Always

    ReplyDelete